Civil Rights, Vietnam and the Seventies
Week of April 21
Monday: Kennedy and Johnson presidency notes (shared through Gmail)
Tuesday: Civil Rights notes and video clips
Wednesday: Civil Rights quiz; complete the hyperlinked Google Form Kennedy and Civil Rights
Thursday: Vietnam War questions/timeline (you have today and tomorrow):
1) How did Ike and JFK get the U.S. involved in Vietnam? To what extent was our involvement? (fighting, support, advising?)
2) Explain the Gulf of Tonkin resolution; how did LBJ get it, and what did it do?
3) By how much did LBJ escalate the war in 1965? Describe Operation Rolling Thunder.
4) Explain the difference, and disagreements between "hawks" and "doves".
5) Describe what happened during the Tet Offensive.
6) Describe the peace talks that went on during the course of the war. Were they effective?
7) Explain the evolution of peoples' views of the war on the home front. Describe any protest movements (including Veterans Against the War) and clashes that occurred (including the Kent State Massacre).
8) Explain what happened in the 1968 presidential election, including at the Democratic National Convention.
9) What was Vietnamization, and who came up with the policy?
10) Lastly, explain the My Lai massacre, the release of the Pentagon Papers, and our eventual withdrawal from Vietnam.
Friday: See Thursday
Week of April 21
Monday: Vietnam War discussion (from last week's questions)
Tuesday: Quiz, HOMEWORK: From the Articles section near the top of the page, read the "Women's Rights Movement" and "Decade of Protest" articles. Answer the questions found HERE
Wednesday: Hippie Culture article, D'ohin' in the Wind (hippie culture)