Weekly Schedule March 2
Monday: History of the Filibuster; the filibuster in action Ted Cruz and Rand Paul
Tuesday: History of Gerrymandering, the most gerrymandered districts, The Redistricting Game (complete Mission 1 and Mission 3 at the basic level), Google Form
Watch the clips, answer the questions below and be prepared to discuss on Thursday.
1995 Congress "60 Minutes" clip
2012 "60 Minutes" clip
1. Are there any common traits/characteristics among the Senators retiring, both within the same year and between the two years?
2. What are the main problems with Congress, and the Senate in particular?
3. What are the similarities between the reasons for the problems in 1995 and 2012, respectively?
4. Compromise is brought up often in the videos; give 3 compromises from US history and explain why they were necessary. (No 2 can come from the same decade.)
5. What solutions are proposed in the video?
6. Is the Senate broken, or are these problems just something inherent to the legislative system that we have in place? Explain.
* Be prepared to discuss on Thursday
Wednesday: Ch. 12 Kahoot
Thursday: Seminar - Is the Senate broken?
Friday: FRQ Ch. 12, Congressional committee examination